Astragalus is one of the great tonic herbs of traditional Chinese medicine. Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceous) has a rich history of use in Asian cultures; it is native to China, Mongolia and North Korea. Astragalus is believed to strengthen the immune system, muscular systems and support metabolic functions.
As an immune system tonic, astragalus tonifies what the Chinese call "Wei Qi" or "protective Qi" which is the energy that runs just below the surface of the skin. It helps the body understand when you've got an invader, or a virus and how to annihilate, then and there. Astrag I tell you, it's right up there with chaga and reishi. Astragalus contains astragalosides and other immunostimulant polysaccharides, flavonoids, and trace minerals, especially selenium.
Astrag has an impressive range of benefits for the body:
- High increase in immune function
- Enhanced anti-viral activity
- Protection from colds and flu
- Increased circulation of blood and Qi
- Strongly tonifies the vital Qi of the body
- Generates blood and fluids
- Maintains a healthy immune system
- Energy tonic for athletes and anyone looking for more day to day energy and vitality
- Supports the lung and spleen organs in the body
- Heart muscle strengthening
- Fortification of all vital organs
- Brings adaptability to the body and immunity.
And did I mention the taste? It's sweet to the palate and is a beautiful addition to your coffees, tea, smoothies etc as a sweetener. Our resident Flavor Babe, Charlotte, likens the taste to: marmalade on buttery rye, dried apricots. Pretty dreamy, right.
Our wild Astragalus root is harvested from its natural home in Inner Mongolia, (see our article on Di Dao for why we source our herbs from China) ensuring its the most robust Astrag available. It is a dual-extracted, 10:1 powder (this means 10kg of herb is used, to make 1kg of the powdered herb as we find this ratio gives us the whole spectrum of medicines and energetics in the extract), containing purely herbs - no nasty synthetics, preservatives, colors or starches. The powder extract is carefully dried to maintain the active constituents of the herb. You can check out our high-quality Astragalus here.