Using fresh, seasonal fruits (mango and avocado), this salad trojan horses Mason’s Mushrooms into the sweet mustard dressing. What's 'trojan horse'? It's when you add tonic herbs (like medicinal mushrooms) into your everyday meals and drinks. Tonic herbs are not temperature sensitive - e.g. they are not effected by heat or cold, so they are super versatile and can be added into anything from your hot coffee, to raw dessert. Here is your invitation to get creative in the kitchen, adding tonic herbs. If you don't have any Mason's Mushrooms at the time of trying this recipe, experiment with any of the other mushrooms.
This salad is light and nourishing, is gluten free and can be vegan or feel free to use chicken. Serves 6 people.
INGREDIENTS Mango Avocado Salad
2 medium chicken breasts or try tempeh for vegan version
2 tsp olive oil
1 mango diced
1 avocado diced
6 cups lettuce rinsed, chopped and spun dry (we like iceberg or romaine)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
1/2 cucumber sliced
1/2 small purple onion thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/2 cup cut chopped almonds toasted
garlic salt to taste
pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS Sweet Mustard Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp SuperFeast Mason’s Mushrooms
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp honey or maple syrup
1 tsp garlic minced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
METHOD Mango Avocado Salad
1. Cut chicken breasts (or your tempeh) in half lengthwise and season with garlic salt and pepper.
2. Sauté in 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through (3 min per side).
3. Remove from pan, cool for 5 minutes and slice into strips.
4. Add chopped lettuce to a large bowl or platter. Top with all other ingredients.
METHOD Sweet Mustard Dressing
1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
2. Drizzle over salad platter.