These yummy onions are a match made in heaven with our Mason's Mushrooms blend (however if you don't have any Mason's on hand, try any of the other mushies, they will also work a treat). Particularly delicious on toast (try serving up with some fresh greens and a protein), or as a side to any meal, these onions pair wonderfully with roast meats or pan-fried tempeh. Warming and hearty, a perfect Festive Season addition!
Mason's Mushrooms is a gut-friendly medicinal mushroom blend, containing eight potent immune-supporting mushrooms. Let's get started:
(this will make two generous cups)
1.5kg red onions (you can also use brown or white onions), peeled and finely sliced
1⁄4 cup maple syrup
1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp SuperFeast Mason’s Mushrooms
salt to taste
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat, sweat onions for 15 - 25 mins, stirring occasionally. Keep covered with the lid unless stirring.
2. Once onions start to soften, add maple, balsamic, Mason’s Mushrooms and salt.
3. Reduce heat to low and leave uncovered, stirring regularly, until sticky and dark in color, about 20-30 mins.
4. Taste for the balance of salty, sweet and sour - add more salt to taste if necessary.
5. Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
Thanks to the beautiful Heidi Flora for this simple, yet delicious recipe.
I had already been practicing cycle tracking and ritual for some years, but this practice immediately brought me into deeper presence and connection with my body, helped to slow me down and brought in another layer reverence to something I had been taught to fear, ignore or hate.